Monday, November 28, 2005

Drunk under the Streetlamp

When I read the news these days I am reminded of the story of the drunk who is on his hands and knees searching for his lost car keys under the street light. A passer-by tries to be helpful and asks, “Where do you think you lost them?”

“Back in the bar,” says the drunk. “But the light’s better here.”

As it is with the drunk, so it is with the Republicans in power. Today’s most important issues -- providing affordable health care to all, reversing global warming, creating peace in the Middle East, for example -- are so complex and difficult that this administration prefers to keep the public focused on the trivial – protecting the flag from being burned, keeping Terry Schiavo alive, teaching “intelligent design” in the schools.

Trying to protect embryos and fetuses from abortion or stem cell research is also, in the grand scheme of things, a tremendous waste of energy and resources. Ditto gay marriage.

I too would rather follow every thread on DailyKos as if by becoming more informed I were actually doing something meaningful. I'd rather answer (or generate) email than write a chapter in my mythical book. Maybe I'll just have another drink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home