Saturday, August 19, 2006

Columbian - wacko letters should be axed

Columbian Editor Lou Brancaccio writes that Letters to the Editor should be opinions. Sounds good. But when letters contain obviously erroneous opinions stated as if they were fact, most reputable newspapers won’t publish them.

The New York Times, for example, fact checks every letter.

Not the Columbian – nearly every day they print a letter with some ridiculous unfounded assertion.

A wingnut named Jock Demme wrote a letter last week, “Liberalism is a Mental Disorder” that is a prime example of the balderdash they accept for publication. He lists 13 pieces of “evidence” as if he were quoting from some liberal position paper. Among the most outrageous: “Liberals want to teach children sexual deviance and ignore American history.” “Liberals believe children are acceptable sexual targets for sexual predators.”

I’ve never met a single liberal who holds these beliefs. And I bet Demme hasn’t either. He’s just spouting Coulter or Limbaugh. The trouble is - some folks take the letters as fact.

This is not reasoned discourse and has no place in a community paper.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kalirati said...

Thanks for your comment on my piece about Richard Russo. I agree that my posts had gotten more serious since the election. In fact, after listening to Russo tonight and went and rewrote my entry on Palin to make it lighter. We can thank Russo for reminding us.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Fantastic Forrest said...

Hear, hear. I agree with you. I no longer read the letters to the editor because so many are just plain absurd. The Columbian seems to have taken a real turn for the worse since we moved to Vancouver.

6:38 PM  
Blogger JoieDe said...

Thanks FF - I've actually stopped getting the Columbian. They've gone too far to the right - their opposition to the library levy finished me off.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home