Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Talking to Republicans

Recently I sat waiting for my delayed plane to show up at the Portland airport. Across from me a woman was reading Ann Coulter's How to talk to a Liberal -- every now and then reading particularly "hilarious" parts aloud to her husband.

After awhile she looked over at me and I pointed at her book in a friendly sort of way. Then I pointed back at myself, and said, "Would you like to talk to one right now?"

A look of horror crossed her face. "Oh," she said. "I'm not ready yet."

It is not easy to talk with someone with whom you believe you share so little in common, but at my other favorite blog, Stories in America, liberal journalist Rose Aguilar is doing just that - meandering around the red states interviewing folks. If you read her earlier posts from Texas you'll find she poses the kinds of questions that really open people up to talking and to fresh examination of some of their automatic responses.

The most successful questions are open-ended: often beginning with such interrogatory words as what, who, how, why, when... Here are some good ones - neutral in tone:

What is your opinion of the state of the nation?

How do you feel about the war? how do you feel it’s going?

What about the economy? Has it affected your job/family?

What do you think we should do about health care coverage for the millions of Americans without it?

Do you identify with a political party? What does being Republican/Democrat mean to you?

Why do you think Republicans who are critical of Bush hesitate to speak out?

What message would you send to the Democratic (Republican) party?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home